Squad Analysis - Part One
With the loan window slam shut and the January transfer window rapidly approaching Superhoop50 takes a look at the current crop of players.
The first part of Superhoop50`s analysis focuses on the R`s defensive unit
With half the season gone, how many of us would have taken 9th place?
Personally, I would say yes. We`re within striking distance of the clubs outside the top 2, but what we really need is a good string of results. We`ve only won two consecutive games in the league once this season and quite frankly that`s no real consistency at all, largely due to our inability to win away.
We now have a manager that so far I believe has shown real promise. My opinion is that he`s slowly bringing the best out of a few players that weren`t performing prior to his arrival.
The other question that has to be asked though is do we actually want promotion this season and are we good enough?
This brings us onto the squad and there`s certainly plenty to debate about it.
Our defence (including our keepers) has been the subject of much-debate this season, but the fact is, we`re not shipping goals on the scale of last season and overall we have one of the best defences in the league. The debate has always been the lack of cover in certain positions and I`m sure we`re all waiting with baited breath for the January sales.
Here`s my analysis of our defensive unit.
1. Lee Camp - Tough one here. Not the finished article by any means and can't help wondering if his heart is still at QPR now? Always felt that Camp was a good shot-stopper, but sometimes lacked the basics. I can see him departing in the transfer window.
12. Jake Cole - Doubt he'll ever get a chance and I`ll be amazed if he stays.
24. Radek Cerny - I don`t think anybody would argue that Radek`s improvement over the past couple of months has been quite dramatic, after what can only be described as a dreadful start.
A back four that`s given him good protection on a number of occasions has certainly helped him, but nevertheless, the flapping and what appeared to be a lack of confidence seems to have evaporated. Not getting any younger and that might work against him. Be interesting to see if we buy another keeper.
2. Damien Delaney - Noticeable that he`s improved since Sousa`s arrival, but overall, not a patch on his performances of last season. We know what he's capable of but his runs forward have been shackled to a degree and he's been left to concentrate on defending.
I think he`s been found out. Will need to find some much needed consistency or he`s going to find himself in the reserve side.
3. Damion Stewart - Much improved and matured. The panicking seems to have evaporated even if his poor positioning at times hasn't. I think he`s been a revelation this season and if the awards were being handed out now, I think he`d win them.
5. Fitz Hall - I felt we were starting to see the best of Fitz until his suspension, but he might find it tough to get back in straight away. Can only hope that his constant injury niggles doesn`t stop his progress.
13. Kaspars Gorkss - We all wondered what all the fuss was about when we eventually signed Kaspars, but I firmly believe he`s been our best player since he came back into the side after a nightmare start.
Good in the air, good on the ball and a good defender. Not much more to ask for really apart from the odd goal or two? He`ll take some shifting if he keeps up his current form.
15. Peter Ramage - Another player I believe is improving, albeit slowly. I guess we were all hoping for some marauding runs down the right flank but they haven`t really materialised and I suspect they never will.
As an out and out defender, I believe he`s actually been quite sound, but not sure if this is quite enough, especially with the formation we`re playing now.
16. Matthew Connolly - Our bright young star who has proved he can play anywhere effectively across the back four. I`m very excited about Matt looking ahead and can only see him improving. I suspect he could well end up as a right back.
28. Zeshan Rehman - Yes you've forgotten he's still ours haven't you? Can't get into the Blackpool side either. I never thought he was as bad as everybody made out and he put in some decent performances under De Canio, but surely his future is elsewhere now?
We want to know YOUR thoughts!
To have your say you can comment in the space provided below, or chat about it on the forum.
Do you want to write for Vital QPR? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
Man of the Match - Radek Cerny.
Media Eye - Ben Kosky.
Match Report - Plymouth Argyle 1-1 QPR.