Squad Analysis - Part Two
Superhoop50 runs the rule over Rangers midfield in the second part of his squad analysis.
Sections of the Rangers support have coined the R`s midfield unit as "The best in the world" a suggestion that Superhoop50 refutes.
To read Part One Click Here >>>.
I for one have not fallen for the "best midfield in world" suggestion and never have. A good midfield will create chances for our strikers and as far as I`m concerned, that`s where our real problem has been all season.
Here`s my analysis of our engine room.
4. Gavin Mahon - You`re never going to get mazy runs from Gavin but I believe he`s had a lot of unjustified stick. Not the sharpest of passers by any means but a reliable and important presence in front of the back four.
If we went up this season, I don`t think he`d go with us but still believe he`s an important part of the squad for the second half of the season.
6. Mikele Leigertwood - Bags of energy and more important than a lot of people give him credit for. Glides across the surface and covers acres of ground, but really needs to improve his passes as a high percentage are misplaced. We`ve seen the best and worst of him and I believe his best is excellent.
7. Daniel Parejo - Wants far too much time on the ball and discovered very quickly that you simply don`t get it in the Championship. The odd flashes of brilliance, but a massive disappointment despite his tender years. Be interesting to see how he develops when he goes back to Spain, which he undoubtedly will.
10. Akos Buzsaky - Was just coming back to his best when disaster struck. I think he`d fit in perfectly with the system we`re playing now and believe his absence has cost us points and goals. The sooner he`s back the better and a very important part of our future.
12. Adam Bolder - I think Adam should stay as I can really see him in the Mahon role and reckon he`d benefit from the way Sousa sets the side out. However, we`d need the "first season" Bolder back and not the one from last season. With Millwall lying in second spot in League One, I wonder how important Adam has been for them after their struggles last season?
14. Martin Rowlands - Captain Marvel has been a mystery to me this season. Frankly, I thought he was awful under Dowie but returned to his best under Ainsworth and Sousa. Seems to have found his shooting boots again in recent weeks which was missing earlier in the season and hopefully, the second half of the season will see his goal tally rise.
17. Lee Cook - Don't believe he's quite the threat he was before we sold him and seems to get knocked off the ball VERY easily now. I don`t believe his best position is an out and out left- winger anymore and believe he`s more effective when he floats around.
His shooting must improve which is the worst part of his game right now. I don`t think his place in the side is "nailed on" by any means.
18. Damiano Tommasi - Covers a lot of ground for a 'veteran' but an awful lot of misplaced passes. Bit-part player for the rest of the season and I can see him going or perhaps moving into a coaching role?
20. Emmanuel Jorge Ledesma - Forget the Carlisle game as he's been found out since then. However, undoubted raw quality and think he's capable of learning over here. Signs of him toughening up before his suspension and injury and the second half of the season will be very important for him.
21. Matteo Alberti - Well I saw him pre-season and he looked quite menacing, but injury has kept him out for nearly 3 months before his reserve appearance recently. I think we all forget he`s our player, so lets hope we get to see him, as we`re not loaded with talent on the right flank.
25. Hogan Ephraim - I was about to lose patience with him until Sousa discovered that he`s suited to the diamond formation and he`s at last put in some decent performances recently after looking totally lost.
Signed as a striker from West Ham but I don`t think he`s ever started there for us? Can`t help wondering if this diamond formation may actually suit him up front? May well benefit from a loan spell if he can`t get into our side regularly?
To read Part One Click Here >>>.
We want to know YOUR thoughts!
To have your say you can comment in the space provided below, or chat about it on the forum.
Wiley Ref`s Preston Clash.
Man of the Match - Radek Cerny.
Media Eye - Ben Kosky.