The Vital Bet - 05-12-09
Southernhoop looks ahead to this weekend's fixtures and gives you all the tips that matter.
Now that the depressing time of year is upon us, Xmas shopping for the woman who has everything (so I tell her), cold or wet weather, the hoops being live on telly twice (yes I know it'll be nice to see them, but we don't generally do very well), it's your chance to beat the winter blues with a little winning bet (that'll make a nice change, I hear you say).
This weekend with a full set of league fixtures I have come up with a few options to ponder.
For those going to the home of football what about a treble on the early kick-offs, that way you'll be quids in before you see the mighty hoops win 5-0!
* Leeds (12.15 kick-off) at home to Huddersfield at 8/11.
* Portsmouth (12.45) at home to Burnley at 5/6.
* Notts Forest (1.00) at home to Leicester at 11/8.
A £5 treble would pay out £37.60 (a little late by the time Forest finish to buy a round in the Bok though)
Personally I fancy the draw in the Forest v Leicester game at 9/4 which would pay £51.46 for the treble.
I've also had a look at doing a 'geographical' bet for a little change, picking the 3 teams nearest to me.
* Portsmouth at home to Burnley at 5/6.
* Southampton away at Walsall at 7/5.
* Bournemouth at home to Shrewsbury at 5/6.
Portsmouth, despite the players not having been paid, should prove too strong for Burnley who struggle on the road, Fratton Park is not the place to go when you can't win away.
Southampton are one of the most improved sides in the country, however it's a risk with them being away to a team on the brink of the play-off places.
Bournemouth should win at home, even though Shrewsbury are high up the league themselves.
This 'south coast treble' would pay just over of £40 for a £5 stake.
The bet I will actually be doing myself covers 6 teams, a 20p stake in 15 fourfolds, 6 fivefolds and an accumulator (total stake £4.40).
* Blackpool at 10/11 home to Barnsley.
* Palace at 4/5 home to Doncaster.
* West Brom at evens away to Derby.
* Wycombe (despite Gareth not playing) at evens home to Stockport.
* Bournemouth at 5/6 at home to Shrewsbury.
* Bradford at 11/10 away to Darlington.
This will pay just over £85 if all selections are right. Remember if 5 are right there will be a healthy profit, if only 4 right you should at least get your stake money back.
Good luck to all.
Many thanks once again to Southern
Have your say on The Forum
Follow us on Twitter